“The sexual act is so shameful that it is intrinsically evil.” ~Pope Innocent (1160-1216)
The Church (and other religions) have done much to turn a God-given Gift into something “dirty” and “perverted”. And interestingly (and tragically), this stance has been embedded into our Western Culture. What if the Church got it wrong? What if sexuality is something beautiful and is actually a sacred path to the Divine? And pushing this further, is “traditional/institutional” marriage the ONLY place where this sacred path should take place (as the Church seems to imply)? What does this mean for single people who are marrying later in life (or never) or LGBT who often aren’t granted that civil right? That will be this month’s fascinating discussion, facilitated by Josey (the Outlaw) Stone.
Josey poses the question: “What would it look like to move beyond talking about sexuality and all the complex definitions, associations, and issues brought up by the topic of sexuality, and to move toward talking with persons about sexuality on a face to face level, holding their concerns and evolving human identity as sacred- as something to be nurtured, honored, and upheld as a gift from and glimpse of the Divine?”
These links will definitely stir your mind for the conversation:
- Josey’s Article (pdf file) – “Joseph Stone, “Sacred Sexuality- Seeing Sexuality As a Gift From the Divine”“
- Newsweek (2/14/11) Article –What the Bible Really Says About Sex
- Washington Post (2/8/11) –Debunking ‘Biblical marriage’: Why the Bible can’t dictate today’s sexual morals
- Washington Post (2/9/11) –What does the Bible say about sexuality?
- Washington Post (2/10/11) – What does the Bible say about sexual desire?
- Interfaith Voices (2/4/11) – Father Albert Cutie – Choosing Between Love and the Catholic Priesthood
- Cynthia Bourgeault on her new book, which looks at Mary Magdalene & Jesus and the Path of Conscious Love
Come participate in this interfaith conversation on Tuesday, February 22nd at 7:00 pm at (upstairs space):
SISTER LOUISA’S CHURCH OF THE LIVING ROOM & PING PONG EMPORIUM (This place is PERFECT – see great article HERE!)
466 Edgewood Avenue, Atlanta, Georgia 30312
on The Edgewood Corridor, in the old Danneman’s space, diagonal to Sound Table.